A day after Delhi Police was left red in the face by the revelations made by the male companion of the 23-year-old girl, who was brutally assaulted in a moving bus about three weeks ago, the department registered a case against Zee News on Saturday for disclosing the identity of the boy, who is also the lone witness to the case.
The case was filed under Section 228 (A) of Indian Penal Code, which pertains to disclosure of identity of victim of certain offences, including rape, Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said.
In the interview, the person was severely critical of the police response and indifference of the public while he and the deceased girl lay on the road after being thrown out of the bus.
He said after they had been thrown off the bus without their clothes, they had tried to stop people passing by but no one stopped about for 25 minutes.
Three Police Control Room (PCR) vans arrived at the scene after about 45 minutes, but wasted time in deciding on under which police station’s jurisdiction the case fell, he said.
The person interviewed by the channel was with the 23-year-old medical student when they boarded a bus around 9 pm in South Delhi’s Munirka area after watching a movie at a cinema hall on December 16. He too was beaten up, struck on the head, due to which he lost consciousness, and stripped before being thrown out on the streets along with his friend.
The boy was badly wounded and was seen on television on a wheelchair.
The girl was later taken by a police patrol to a Government hospital where she battled for life for several days before being flown to Singapore in an air ambulance. However, she failed to continue her fight and passed away on December 29.
The horrifying crime led to widespread public protests in several parts of the country and vocal demands for toughening laws against rape and sexual abuse against women.
Police had charge-sheeted five men, including the driver of the bus and his brother, in the case and accused them of various crimes like murder, attempt to murder, gang-rape, kidnapping and unnatural offences.
The sixth accused claims he is a minor, a little below 18. However, he is to be subjected to a bone density test to verify his age. He will be tried by the Juvenile Justice Board if proven a minor.
(With inputs from PTI)