In a third incident in two days of midday meal tragedy, another appalling incident comes from the Neyvelli district of Tamil Nadu where over 100 girls felt sick after their midday meal.
105 girls, students of classes VII and VIII, fell sick after consuming the eggs served in their meal at Neyveli Lignite Corporation-owned Girls’ High School, school authorities said on condition of anonymity.
The students were rushed to NLC Hospital and are now out of danger, hospital’s child specialist Dr Sridharan said.
Soon after the girls vomited, with some of them fainting, distribution of food was stopped, officials said.
Twenty-three children died in Chhapra in Bihar after consuming midday meal, sparking violent protests amid suspicions by the State Government that it was poisoned.
In a related incident, about 50 students of a Government middle school in Madhubani district fell ill after eating food under the midday meal scheme.
(With inputs from agencies)