Most of the leaders at the helm of affairs today in Indian politics are products of a movement created by a man named Jayaprakash Narayan. He was the one who galvanised people to protest against the corrupt Congress Government at a time when the nation was reeling from corruption, unemployment and high inflation.
It is interesting to note that JP movement propelled many leaders into mainstream politics and leaders like Morarji Desai, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Charan Singh, HD Deve Gowda and Inder Kumar Gujral went on to become Prime Ministers of India, where as Bhairon Singh Shekhawat became the Vice President of India.
Lal Krishna Advani, Sharad Yadav and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar owe their political careers to the JP movement.
Here are a few facts about his life.
1. Jayprakash Narayan was born on 11 October 1902 to Harsu Dayal and Phul Rani Devi in the village of Sitabdiara, Bihar.
2. Jayprakash Narayan was not very religious, but he regularly read Bhagavada Gita and Mahabharata.
3. At the age of 18 he married Prabhavati Devi, the daughter of Braj Kishore Prasad’s .
4. After completing his studies at Vidyapeeth, At the age of 20 Jayprakash Narayan left for America for higher studies. Jayaprakash picked grapes, set them out to dry, packed fruits at a canning factory, washed dishes, worked as a mechanic at a garage and at a slaughter house, sold lotions to pay for his studies.
5. It was during the Emergency days that Jayprakash was diagnosed with kidney failure and remained on dialysis for the rest of his life.